- We study nematic equilibria on a square with tangent Dirichlet conditions on the edges, in three different modelling frameworks: (i) the off-lattice Hard Gaussian Overlap and Gay-Berne models; (ii) the latticebased Lebwohl-Lasher model; and the (iii) two-dimensional Landau-de Gennes model. We compare the modelling predictions, identify regimes of agreement and in the Landau-de Gennes case, find up to 81 different equilibria. Of these, 6 are physically stable, reducing to 2 if rotational symmetries are discounted.
- Publication status:
- Peer review status:
- Peer reviewed
- Publisher's version
- EP/K030930/1, EP/J001686/1, EP/J001686/2
- Taylor and Francis Publisher's website
- Liquid Crystals Journal website
- Publication date:
- Acceptance date:
- Pubs id:
- Local pid:
- Paper number:
- Copyright holder:
- Robinson et al.
- Copyright date:
- © 2017 The Author(s). Published by Informa UK Limited, trading as Taylor & Francis Group. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License.
From molecular to continuum modelling of bistable liquid crystal devices
John Fell Fund More from this funder
Royal Society More from this funder
+ Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council More from this funder
If you are the owner of this record, you can report an update to it here: Report update to this record