Globally, as a leading agent of acute respiratory tract infections in children <5 years of age and the elderly, the human metapneumovirus (HMPV) has gained considerable attention. As inferred from studies comparing vaccinated and experimentally infected mice, the acquired immune response elicited by this pathogen fails to efficiently clear the virus from the airways, which leads to an exaggerated inflammatory response and lung damage. Furthermore, after disease resolution, there is a poor ...Expand abstract
- Publication status:
- Peer review status:
- Peer reviewed
- Publisher's version
- National Fund for Scientific and Technological Development (grant no. 1070352, 1140010, and 1150862 and postdoctorate grant no. 3140455); Corporación de Fomento de la Producción (grant no. 11IDL2-10668, 13CTI-21526-P4, and 13CTI-21526-P5); National Corporation of Science and Technology (CTU-06); Iniciativa Científica Milenio (P09-016-F).
- American Society for Microbiology Publisher's website
- Clinical Microbiology Reviews Journal website
- Publication date:
0893-8512 and 1098-6618
- Pubs id:
- Local pid:
- Copyright holder:
- American Society for Microbiology
- Copyright date:
- Copyright © 2016, American Society for Microbiology. All Rights Reserved.